Some people are criminals because they break the law wilfully and deliberately, however, there are many people who would not dream of breaking the law, but in fact have done so without realising it. In some cases they’ve even done it on purpose, but because it is considered ‘minor’ and they didn’t get caught, they think of themselves as law abiding citizens. Criminal lawyers would tell them that they are actually law-breakers.
Have you broken the law? Here are some laws you may not have heard of.
- When you move into a new rental, your letterbox is jammed with the previous tenants mail. You may take it back to the Post Office at first, then you get sick of doing that and throw it away. You may even open some of it. Opening or destroying other people’s mail is against the law.
- When you beep the horn and wave to your neighbour, you are breaking the law, which states that it is an illegal use of a warning device. Fine? $250 and 3 demerit points off your licence.
- Did you stick your arm out of the car or even rest your elbow against the window? That too, is an office, punishable by the same as the above crime.
- The sun is belting down when you park the car, so you decide to leave the windows partly open to avoid coming back to hell on wheels. You may even not bother to lock the car since you’ll only be four metres away from it. But both are a crime. The allowance for the latter is 3 metres.
- If you go through that amber traffic light and an officer thinks you had enough time to stop safely, you can be charged with that as a crime.
- Some dog friendly parks are not so dog friendly at certain times of the day, so you can be breaking the law if you take Fido out for a play to that park at the wrong time.
- You cross the road away from lights and are not using a zebra crossing. This crime is classed as jaywalking.
- You eat in an area outside that is classed as a smoking zone. Really? That’s a crime? In some cities it is.
- Texting or talking on a hand-held phone while driving is illegal – and dangerous.
- Taking recreational drugs is illegal – and stupid as well as dangerous.
- Taking anything from a hotel room is also illegal. It is meant for your use while you are there.
- Littering is illegal
- Speeding is illegal – even if you are going 65 in a 60 zone.
- Underage drinking of alcohol or supplying it to an underage person is illegal.